Shoppers loved Amazon’s Fire and Fire TV Stick during the holidays
When you’re selling a tablet for $50, people question the quality of the hardware and software. It wouldn’t be surprising for a tablet that cheap to have an ugly, thick body and laggy software. But Amazon seems to have found an incredible value in the Fire. The $50 price unlocks access to Amazon’s large catalog of content. And it turns out that holiday shopper loved the tablet because Amazon says the Fire was the best-selling, most wished-for, and most gifted item on the company’s site during the holidays.
Amazon’s Fire was the best-selling item on the company’s site during the holidays, fulfilling the wishlist of millions of people. Not far behind were the Echo and Fire TV Stick, two products also developed by Amazon. The Echo ranked very high on the most-wished for and gifted items lists while the Fire TV Stick was the company’s third best-selling item.
Nearly two hundred countries received shipments from Amazon, totally over 200 million items.
Video streaming, too, was a big component for Amazon’s success at the end of 2015. Prime Video streaming doubled compared to last year, largely due to multiple Amazon Originals garnering nominations and awards. Amazon Studios saw Transparent, Mozart in the Jungle, Catastrophe, and The Man in the High Castle earn critical acclaims.
Altogether, Amazon was able to double sales of their own devices. This shows that Amazon is quietly building itself a respectable ecosystem full of content for its own hardware. Between tablets and media players, the company has movies, television shows, music, and games to explore. Perhaps the only form factor Amazon needs to work on is the phone. Because, remember, Amazon’s first attempt at a phone was…. not good. Since the company canned the team behind the phone, we’re probably going to be waiting for a bit to see the Fire Phone’s successor.
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, who also founded the company, commented on the company’s success during the holidays:
“This was another great holiday season to be a Prime member, and we welcomed three million new members in the week of December alone.
On behalf of Amazon employees around the world, we wish everyone happy holidays and the very best for the coming year.”
Check out the press release below for Amazon’s entire roundup of its holiday performance in 2015.
Amazon Celebrates a Record-Setting Holiday for Prime, Amazon Original Series and Amazon Devices
Prime experiences record-breaking holidays season — more than three million new members worldwide joined Prime during the third week of December alone
Prime members made The Man in the High Castle the most watched TV season on Prime Video this holiday by 4.5x and doubled their total viewing hours of Prime Video titles, compared to 2014
Biggest holiday ever for Amazon devices — up 2x over last year’s record-setting holiday
Over 200 million more items shipped for free with Prime this holiday season
SEATTLE–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Dec. 28, 2015– (NASDAQ: AMZN) — Amazon’s 21st holiday was a record-breaker for Amazon Prime, Amazon Original Series and Amazondevices. More than three million members worldwide joined Prime during the third week of December, bringing milestone growth to the membership program which offers unlimited Free Two-Day shipping, Free Same-Day Delivery, superfast free two-hour delivery via Prime Now in more than 20 metro areas, and unlimited access to tens of thousands of movies and TV episodes, including award-winning Amazon Original Series at no additional cost. Prime members made The Man in the High Castle the most watched TV season on Prime Video this holiday by 4.5x and doubled their total viewing hours of Prime Video titles, compared to 2014. This holiday was also the best ever forAmazon devices, doubling last year’s record-setting shopping season with millions of devices sold. Among Amazon devices, the all-new Fire tablet was the #1 best-selling, most gifted and most wished-for product across the millions of items available on Amazon.com since its introduction 15 weeks ago.
“This was another great holiday season to be a Prime member, and we welcomed three million new members in the third week of December alone,” said Jeff Bezos, Founder and CEO of Amazon.com. “Over 200 million more items shipped for free with Prime this holiday, and members doubled their viewing hours of Prime Video compared to last year with the Amazon Original Series The Man in the High Castle leading the way as the most watched TV season ever on Prime Video. On behalf of Amazon employees around the world, we wish everyone happy holidays and the very best for the coming year.”
Holiday Fun Facts
- Record number of units shipped worldwide with Amazon Prime.
- More than three million customers joined Prime in the third week of December.
- Amazon Prime membership continues to grow, and there are tens of millions of members worldwide.
- Record number of movies watched on Prime Video in 2015.
- Prime members made The Man in the High Castle the most watched TV season on Prime Video by 4.5x.
- This holiday, Prime members doubled their viewing hours of Prime Video titles, compared to 2014.
- Prime members shopped more than 30,000 Lightning Deals on Amazon.com with Prime Early Access.
- Christmas Eve was the biggest day ever for Prime Now deliveries.
- Amazon devices including the all-new Fire tablet, Amazon Echo and Fire TV Stick made up three of the top five items ordered on Christmas Eve through Prime Now.
- Some of the most popular Prime Now best sellers during the holidays were Simply Orange Juice, Bounty Paper Towels and Haribo Gold-Bears.
- A record number of songs were streamed with Prime Music this holiday season—worldwide Prime Music plays set an all-time record increasing more than 350 percent compared to 2014.
- Prime members shopping via mobile more than doubled this holiday in the US.
- Members worldwide uploaded more than a billion photos for free with Prime Photos this holiday.
- Kindle Paperwhite, Cards Against Humanity and Fitbit Charge were the most popular items ordered with Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery this holiday.
- Amazon shipped to 185 countries this holiday.
- The last Prime Now order delivered in-time for Christmas was delivered at 11:59 p.m. on Christmas Eve to a customer in San Antonio, Texas. The order included Blue Buffalo Dog Treats, an Amazon.com Gift Card, the all-new Fire tablet, Fruitables Dog Treats, LEGO Star Wars Death Star Final Duel Building Kit, Moleskine Classic Notebook and Stove Top Stuffing Mix.
- The last Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery order from Amazon.com that was delivered in time for Christmas was ordered at 9:58 a.m. on December 24, 2015. The order included Bluetooth Headphones, and was delivered in Phoenix by 2:59 p.m. – the same day.
Amazon Devices & Digital Media:
- Biggest holiday ever for Amazon devices – up 2x over last year’s record-setting holiday.
- Amazon devices were top-selling products across all of the items available on Amazon.com this holiday season – #1 was Fire, #3 was Fire TV Stick.
- The all-new Fire tablet and Amazon Echo topped this year’s most wished-for and gifted items for Amazon.com customers.
- The most popular movie watched on Prime Video this holiday season was The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1.
- The most popular movie watched on Prime Video on Christmas was Interstellar.
- Amazon Originals have been nominated for nearly 40 awards in 2015 including five Golden Globe nominations, two Screen Actors Guild nominations and eight Critics’ Choice nominations—series nominated include Transparent, Mozart in the Jungle, Catastrophe, The Man in the High Castle, and more.
- Amazon Studios released its first Original Movie Chi-Raq on December 4 to rave reviews. The film, from director Spike Lee, has gone on to be included in several end of the year “Best Film Lists” from LA Weekly, The New Yorker, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, Slant, New York magazine and Vulture.
- Amazon Prime members can instantly watch and enjoy the latest Amazon Original Series including The Man in the High Castle, Red Oaks, Hand of God, and the second season of Transparent as well as the second seasons of Amazon Original Kids Series Tumble Leaf and Gortimer Gibbons Life on Normal Street on hundreds of devices.
- The most common request of Alexa over the holiday season was “play music”—the top three holiday songs requested of Alexa on Amazon Echo this holiday season were “White Christmas,” “Sleigh Ride” and “Winter Wonderland.”
- Alexa helped set over four million timers this holiday season—ensuring holiday cookies were never burnt.
- Customers enjoyed hearing Christmas jokes and holiday trivia from Alexa this season, and on Christmas Eve, the “Santa’s Helper” skill helped customers track Santa as he made his way around the world.
- The top holiday related utterance requested via Alexa on Fire TV was “How many days until Christmas?” this holiday season.
- The top holiday song requested via Alexa on Fire TV was “Santa Claus is Coming to Town,” followed by “Jingle Bell Rock.”
- Chinese restaurants were the most requested type of food on Christmas day via local search from Yelp on Amazon Echo.
- The top streamed holiday movie available on Amazon Video on Fire TV was Christmas Classics Volume 1 (a collection of 8 Christmas classics such as Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman).
- Popular FreeTime Unlimited holiday titles enjoyed by kids in 2015 were Dora Saves the Snow Princess (Dora the Explorer), Olaf’s Adventures – FreeTime Unlimited Edition and Timmy’s Christmas Surprise.
- The hours that kids spent reading in Amazon FreeTime this holiday season was enough time to travel beyond our solar system on a space shuttle.
- The books read by kids in Amazon FreeTime this holiday season would reach Mt. Everest’s peak more than 10 times if put in a straight line in their physical form.
- Adele—25 was the biggest pre-sale digital album ever on Amazon Music.
- Michael Bublé—Christmas was the most played holiday album on Prime Music this season.
- The most popular holiday song streamed on Prime Music during the holidays was Perry Como—“(There’s No Place Like) Home for the Holidays” (1959 Version).
- The most played holiday Prime Playlist was 50 Great Songs for Holiday Entertaining.
- The most played holiday Prime Station was Holiday Classics.
- Plays of holiday music on Prime Playlists and Stations increased by more than 300 percent compared to 2014.
- This holiday season there have been millions of streams of Christmas in Tahoe—the first-ever holiday album from Train, available exclusively for streaming on Prime Music.
- Amazon released its second annual collection of original holiday music with Indie for the Holidays, a playlist that features artists and bands including, YACHT, Rogue Wave, Langhorne Slim, Tuxedo, Ivan & Alyosha, The LeeVees & Matisyahu, A Silent Film and more, singing newly-written or recorded holiday songs exclusively streaming on Prime Music.
- The most popular holiday song streamed on Prime Music on Christmas was “The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You)” by Nat King Cole.
- Worldwide on December 24, AutoRip added more than one million digital copies of The Beatles albums into customers’ Music Libraries for free, providing digital AutoRip copies of physical albums purchased from Amazon since 1998.
- Amazon Underground customers spent enough time playing apps and games throughout the holiday season to watch the entirety of Christmas classic movies, Home Alone, It’s a Wonderful Life and National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation more than a million times.
- The top book purchased on Kindle in 2015 was The Girl on the Train: A Novel by Paula Hawkins.
- The most gifted Kindle book during the holiday season was Rath’s Deception by Piers Platt.
- The top book borrowed on Kindle through Kindle Unlimited in 2015 was No Ordinary Billionaire by J.S. Scott.
- The most popular Kindle book purchased on Christmas day was The Snow Child: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize in Letters: Fiction Finalists) by Eowyn Ivey.
- Nearly 70 percent of Amazon.com customers shopped using a mobile device this holiday.
- On Cyber Monday, Amazon customers worldwide ordered more than 33 electronics per second from a mobile device.
- Amazon.com customers shopping on the mobile app more than doubled this holiday.
- The total number of hours customers spent reading The Martian: A Novel by Andy Weir in 2015 on Kindle is equivalent to more than 1,000 trips to Mars on the Curiosity rover.
- Handmade at Amazon sold enough rings this holiday season to give 13 to every contestant who has been on ABC’s The Bachelor.
- The heaviest item purchased on Amazon Business this holiday season, a BendPak Super-Duty automotive lift, weighs as much as the average beluga whale.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough Rope King Twine this holiday season to tie a string from Seattle to Los Angeles.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough Rubbermaid 42-Piece Storage Containers this holiday season to pack leftovers for the entire Los Angeles County area.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough GREENIES pet treats this holiday season to give each of Santa’s reindeer 20 per second on Christmas Day.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough Cat Dancer 301 Cat Charmer Interactive Cat Toys this holiday season to give 92 to each of the participants from all 21 seasons of Dancing with the Stars.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough flashlights this holiday season to satisfactorily light eight collegiate football fields in accordance with NCAA standards.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough Command Hooks this holiday season to hang a stocking for every person in Orlando, Florida.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough LEGOs this holiday season to build life-sized replicas of every person attending a sold-out Seattle Mariners game at Safeco Field.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough Anki OVERDRIVE Starter Kits this holiday season to wrap around the Daytona International Speedway more than 10 times.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough Jenga sets this holiday season to reach the top of the Empire State Building more than 70 times.
- Amazon.com sold enough HotHands Hand Warmers this holiday season for more than eight million hours of hand warming.
- If every Just Dance 2016 video game purchased by Amazon.com customers this holiday season was played to completion by one person, he or she would be dancing until 2081.
- Customers across 10 countries took advantage of Amazon’s first global Black Friday Deal of the Day, and purchased enough Sennheiser headphones to give a pair to every person at a sold-out Rolling Stones concert in 2015.
- This holiday season, Amazon.com customers purchased more than enough 50-inch TVs to span the average width of the Grand Canyon.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough storage drives this holiday season to download and watch the first two seasons of Transparent more than eight million times.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough Jurassic World DVDs this holiday season to equal the height of more than 2,700 Tyrannosaurus Rex.
- On Cyber Monday alone, Amazon.com customers purchased one Adele CD every three seconds.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough women’s boots this holiday season that, if stacked on top of each other, they would be high enough to reach the orbit of theInternational Space Station.
- Amazon.com customers purchased enough running shoes this holiday season to give every participant of the New York, Chicago, and Boston marathon three pairs of shoes – one for each race.
- Amazon.com customers purchased a watch every three seconds this holiday season.
- Laid out end-to-end, the number of jeans Amazon.com customers purchased this holiday season would cover the driving distance between San Francisco and Los Angeles.
- Customers shopping at smile.amazon.com have generated tens of millions of dollars for their favorite charities since the program was launched.
- So far, over 100,000 organizations have received donations from AmazonSmile. One of those charities, Pencils of Promise, used AmazonSmile donations to build a school in Ghana for preschool and primary aged students.
Holiday Best Sellers (Amazon.com only):
- Amazon Business: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD; Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 with Keyboard and Mouse; Sharpie Permanent Markers – Fine Point, Black, 12 Pack
- Amazon Video: Inside Out; Trainwreck; Jurassic World
- Amazon Launchpad: Anki OVERDRIVE Starter Kit; Sphero BB-8 App-Enabled Droid; Pivotal Living Band
- Automotive: Hopkins 532 Mallory 26″ Snow Brush with Foam Grip; Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Pressure Gauge; Stanley J5C09 1000 Peak Amp Jump Starter with Built-in Compressor
- Baby: Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy; Nuby Icybite Hard/Soft Teething Keys; Fisher-Price Rattle and Rock Maracas Musical Toy
- Books: Laugh-Out-Loud Jokes for Kids; Adult Coloring Books: A Coloring Book for Adults Featuring Mandalas and Henna Inspired Flowers, Animals, and Paisley Patterns; Humans of New York: Stories
- Business, Industrial & Scientific Supplies: Georgia-Pacific Signature 2-Ply Premium Multifold Paper Towel; Rope King ST-300 Sisal Twine – 300 Feet; Dixon Valve TTB75 PTFE Industrial Sealant Tape
- Camera: Fujifilm INSTAX Mini Instant Film Twin Pack – White; GoPro HERO4 SILVER; AmazonBasics Head Strap Camera Mount for GoPro
- Furniture: Frenchi Furniture Black Metal Coat Rack – 12 Hooks; AmazonBasics Mid-Back Office Chair; Signature Sleep Contour 8″ Twin Mattress
- Grocery: KIND Nuts & Spices, Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt, 1.4 Ounce, 12 Count; San Francisco Bay OneCup, French Roast, 80 Single Serve Coffees; smartwater, 6-Count, 1 Liter Bottle
- Headphone: Panasonic RPHJE120K In-Ear Headphone – Black; Powerbeats 2 Wireless In-Ear Headphone – Black; Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headphones – Black
- Home Audio: Jensen JTA-230 3-Speed Stereo Turntable with Built-in Speakers; Yamaha RX-V677 7.2-channel Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver with AirPlay; SONOS PLAY:1 2-Room Streaming Music Starter Set Bundle – Black
- Home Improvement: Roommates Star Wars Classic Peel And Stick Wall Decals; WBM 1002 Hand Carved Himalayan Natural Crystal L O’Keeffe’s Working Hands Cream – 3.4-Ounce
- Home: BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16-Volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vacuum; Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer, FH50150; Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set
- Kids’ Fashion & Accessories: Gerber Baby Girls’ Three-Piece Set with Bodysuit, Cap, and Pant; Northside Frosty Snow Boot (Toddler); Timex Kids’ T89022 “Time Teacher” Floral Elastic Strap Watch
- Kindle Books: The Crossing by Michael Connelly; Pretend You’re Mine: A Small Town Love Story by Lucy Score; Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham
- Kitchen: Rubbermaid 42-Piece Storage Container; Instant Pot 7-1 Multi-Cooker; Oster Electric Wine Bottle Opener
- Luxury Beauty: Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner, Intense Black; L’Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream, 5.2-Ounce; Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, 1 Fluid Ounce
- Men’s Fashion & Accessories: Levi’s Men’s 505 Regular Fit Jean; Clarks Men’s Bushacre 2 Desert Boots; Timex Men’s T499059J Expedition Field Chronograph Watch
- Movies: Inside Out (Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack + Digital Copy); Minions (Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD); Star Wars Trilogy Episodes IV-VI (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Music (CDs & vinyl): Adele 25; Pentatonix That’s Christmas to Me; Frozen (Soundtrack)
- Outdoors: Hydro Flask Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle; Razor A Kick Scooter; Intex Airbeds
- Patio, Lawn & Garden: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger Metal Detector; Weber 6492 Original Instant-Read Thermometer; Original BEAR PAWS Pulled Pork Shredder Claws
- PC: Toshiba C55 Laptop; Dell E2414Hr 24-Inch LED-Lit Monitor; SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card With Adapter
- Pets: KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose – Medium Dog Toy, Brown; KONG Air Dog Squeakair Birthday Balls Dog Toy – Medium (3 Balls); GREENIES PILL POCKETS Treats for Dogs Chicken Flavor – 15.8-Ounce, 60 Count
- Prime Video (movies): The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1; Ex Machina; Dark Places
- Prime Video (TV seasons): Amazon Original Series The Man in the High Castle; Amazon Original Series Transparent (Season 2); Amazon Original Series, Shaun the Sheep—The Farmer’s Llamas
- Prime Music (songs): Adele—“Hello”; Walk the Moon—“Shut up and Dance”; Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars—“Uptown Funk”
- Prime Now: Bounty Select-A-Size Paper Towels – White, 8 Giant Rolls; Aquafina Water – 16.9 Ounce, 24 Count; Haribo Gold-Bears, 5 Ounce
- Sports: Spalding NBA Street Basketball; Wilson F1415 NFL MVP Football (Official Size); Level Terrain FlipBelt Waist Pouch
- Tablets: Fire; Fire Kids Edition; Fire HD 6
- Tools: DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit; MagnoGrip 311-090 Magnetic Wristband; Howard Leight Impact Sport OD Electric Earmuff
- Toys & Games: Snap Circuits Jr. SC-100 Electronics Discovery Kit; Nerf N-Strike Elite: Strongarm Blaster; Jenga Classic Game
- TV: Samsung UN32J5205 32-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV; Samsung UN40J5200 40-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV; TCL 32S3700 32-Inch 720p Roku Smart LED TV
- Video Games: Call of Duty: Black Ops III; Fallout 4; Star Wars Battlefront
- Women’s Fashion & Accessories: Columbia Women’s Benton Springs Full-Zip Fleece Jacket; BOBS from Skechers Women’s Keepsakes Delight Slipper; Rebecca Minkoff Mini Mac Cross-Body Bag
Amazon.com opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about.
Come comment on this article: Shoppers loved Amazon’s Fire and Fire TV Stick during the holidays
Sprint begins rolling out Android 6.0 OTA for LG G Stylo
Sprint announced today that it has begun pushing out the Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA for the LG G Stylo.
With the update to Android 6.0 Marshmallow comes a bevy of neat features, including Doze, Google Now on Tap, improved animations and effects, App Permissions, and much more.
Updates like these do take time to get to everybody, as carriers and manufacturers tend to roll them out in stages in the event of any bugs or device-breaking issues. If you’re anxious to get Android 6.0 on your device, just head on into your device’s Settings > About Phone menu to manually check for the update.
Come comment on this article: Sprint begins rolling out Android 6.0 OTA for LG G Stylo
Here’s Samsung’s first Galaxy A 2016 commercial
Samsung launched its first commercial today for its newly refreshed line of Galaxy A smartphones. The ad is certainly entertaining, showing those silly moments in life we all go through, and says that the Galaxy A smartphones are “exclusively made for you.”
The Korean tech giant debuted the Galaxy A9 in China last week. The company also officially announced the Galaxy A3, A5, and A7, all set for the Chinese region; however, they’ll come to other markets in early 2016.
Samsung’s Galaxy A lineup certainly isn’t a bad batch of smartphones. On the contrary, some of them are actually very nice for being mid-rangers. And for those that aren’t wanting to shell out a ton of money for Samsung’s next flagship, the Galaxy A series might just be worth looking at.
Click here to view the embedded video.
Anyone plan on trying to snag a Galaxy A smartphone soon?
Come comment on this article: Here’s Samsung’s first Galaxy A 2016 commercial
GameStop selling the SHIELD TV with free remote and game for $175
While the holidays might be coming to a close, the deals sure aren’t! GameStop has begun offering a sweet deal on the NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV, bringing it down to just $175, whereas it normally retails for $200.
GameStop may only be selling it for $25 off, but you get a lot of extra value with your purchase, including the SHIELD Controller and the SHIELD Remote for free. Not only that, but GameStop is throwing in a free game called Battle of Sol to make the deal even sweeter.
The SHIELD TV has been subject to a lot of similar deals over the holiday season, but most of them haven’t included a free SHIELD Remote or game.
The SHIELD TV is available from NVIDIA’s own online store, Amazon, and many other retailers, but this current deal is only available with purchases from GameStop.
Come comment on this article: GameStop selling the SHIELD TV with free remote and game for $175
Xiaomi Mi 5 press renders surface in multiple colors
The Xiaomi Mi 5 is inching closer towards an official launch. Today we received another leak, this time of what looks to be official renders of the device.
Four renders popped up today each in a different color. Based on the renders, there will be black, white, pink and gold versions. The Xiaomi Mi 5 is expected to release very shortly and cost an affordable $299 at launch. However, we can’t be completely sure until we hear from Xiaomi directly.
The device will launch in China and should make its way to more countries at a later date. Whether this will be Xiaomi’s first device to hit the states remains to be unheard. If you’re interested in the device, check out the list of leaked specifications we received word on last week.
Source: Times News
Come comment on this article: Xiaomi Mi 5 press renders surface in multiple colors
Google Glass for work is sleeker, tougher and foldable
You won’t have to wait for Google to reveal the next generation of Glass (aka Project Aura) — regulators just stepped in on its behalf. A newly published FCC filing shows the previously rumored Enterprise Edition headset, and it’s clearly a big improvement over the Explorer model from years earlier. The work-focused eyepiece touts a much slicker (and likely more durable) design with both a larger display prism and a hinge that lets you fold it up for travel. The test photos also reveal a spot for a magnetic battery attachment and what looks to be a speedier Atom processor.
There’s still no word on when Google will announce this headset, although the FCC presence hints that it might not take long. Not that you’ll likely wear this particular model as it is: sources for 9to5Google understand that it’ll only be distributed through Glass for Work companies. You’ll need to wait until more consumer-focused models show up sometime in the future, and there’s no guarantee that they’ll have a ton in common.
Fujifilm’s X-Pro1 camera is finally getting a sequel
Fujifilm’s X-Pro1 was hot stuff for mirrorless camera fans when it arrived in 2012, but a lot has changed in 4 years — you can get considerably more powerful gear for the original asking price. At last, though, it looks like the photography giant is ready to update its flagship. Fuji Rumors has scored pictures of an X-Pro2 that (at least on the outside) is a welcome refinement of the original formula. You’ll still see the familiar, retro-influenced body, but it boasts clear changes to the viewfinder (possibly borrowing from the X100T) and control scheme — notice the joystick in the shot below? It may also be more compact, although it’s harder to tell in these early images.
What’s inside is a tougher call. The images line up with earlier drawings pointing to dual SD cards, but there’s not much else known so far. Will it get a fresh sensor? Faster image processing? Maybe. Fujifilm is supposedly unveiling the X-Pro2 on January 15th, however, so you may not have to wait very long to fill in the blanks.
Source: Fuji Rumors
Samsung Galaxy S 5 unofficially gets Marshmallow through Cyanogenmod
If you’re tired of waiting for Samsung to finally get Android 6.0 pushed out to your Galaxy S 5, you’ll now be able to take things into your own hands and get Cyanogenmod 13 installed on your device, if you’re comfortable rooting and flashing a ROM.
Here’s the catch: only GSM devices are receiving these nightly builds. If you’re on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, or US Cellular, you’re out of luck, so keep that in mind when downloading and trying to flash these.
If you’ve got a compatible device and want to dive in, though, you can grab the ROM below.
via: Android Police
Come comment on this article: Samsung Galaxy S 5 unofficially gets Marshmallow through Cyanogenmod
Samsung Galaxy S5 gets Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, by accident
Samsung recently announced an Android 6.0 Marshmallow beta program for the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge in South Korea and the United Kingdom. So it came as a big surprise when one lucky Galaxy S5 owner received an OTA notification for the Android 6.0.1 update.
Mix Tech was quick to do a preview of the Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1, and they posted both screenshots and uploaded a video on YouTube. At first, Galaxy S5 owners were a little upset upon finding that the latest version of Android wasn’t accompanied by the latest version of TouchWiz. However, since the news broke, it has been reported that the Android security patch version of the firmware is listed as “1 January 2016”.
What we are saying is that this isn’t the final firmware for the Galaxy S5, it might not even be an official firmware. Galaxy S5 owners, chances are that the final firmware does come with the latest TouchWiz. Having said that, we don’t expect an update to be pushed out any time soon. Samsung is probably going to release Android Marshmallow for the Galaxy Note 5 before moving to previous generation handsets.
Rest assured, Samsung is indeed working on bringing Marshmallow to its 2014 flagship. Meanwhile, if you own a Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge, here’s our detailed guide on how to install the Marshmallow preview.
Read Next: Exclusive: Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge dimensions confirmed in new leak
Google Glass Enterprise Edition passes through the FCC, shows off improved hardware
It’s pretty clear that Google isn’t thinking about ditching Google Glass anytime soon. Not too long ago Google patented a hologram-enabled version of Google Glass, and we’ve also heard that the Glass team has an audio-based connected headset in the works. While we haven’t actually gotten word that either of these two products will actually make their way to market, one such product that has been in the news over the last few months is a version of Google Glass aimed at enterprise customers. Called Google Glass Enterprise Edition, this new headset is said to sport a faster processor made by Intel, a larger prism display and improved battery life.
If you’ve been waiting to see what this unannounced device has to offer, we may not be too far off from getting the official details. Google Glass Enterprise Edition has just stopped by the FCC.
The next version of Glass will be aimed at the workplace
In all, the Enterprise Edition headset looks a lot like the first Explorer Edition hardware, with a few exceptions. For starters, the headset now features a hinge on the right side so the glasses can be folded up and tucked away without taking up too much space. This was a huge gripe with the first generation hardware, so we’re happy to see this feature has been included this time around. There are also a few other improvements to the hardware, including a larger prism display and a front light that turns on when the camera is in use. The power button has also been moved from the inside to the back of the device.
border: 2px solid #cfcfcf;
/* see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php */
Previous reports have stated that the Enterprise Edition hardware will come with an Intel Atom processor, better heat management, improved battery life as well as improved wireless connectivity. The device will supposedly only be distributed through the Glass for Work program, which will likely allow partners to pre-install proprietary software onto the device before it gets distributed. It’s not very likely Google will sell this version to consumers, though we’ll have to wait and see for sure.
Even though these images have come to us from the FCC, Google still has yet to make an official announcement of the Enterprise Edition. We’ll be sure to let you know about pricing, availability and information on specifications when Google makes it official. For more info, head to the FCC link below to see the full listing.