Podcasts for iOS Updated With Siri Integration, CarPlay Support and Improved Browsing [iOS Blog]
Apple today updated its Podcasts app for iOS to version 2.1, adding several improvements to the app, which currently has just a two star rating in the App Store. The update includes a new “Unplayed” tab displaying episodes that haven’t been listened to, and episodes that are available to stream or download can be accessed from the “Feed” tab.
It’s now possible to save favorite episodes to listen to offline and users can also automatically delete episodes after they’ve been played. Siri integration has been included and Siri is able to play podcast episodes with a “play podcasts” command. Users can also ask Siri to play specific podcasts or stations.
Along with these enhancements, the Podcasts app now supports CarPlay and link sharing via AirDrop. Apple has also released iTunes 11.2 with several desktop podcast improvements.
This update includes several improvements that make playing your favorite podcasts even easier:
Improved Episode Browsing
– Quickly find episodes you haven’t listened to in the new Unplayed tab
– Browse episodes that are available to download or stream in the Feed tab
– Save your favorite episodes to keep them offline
– Episodes can now be automatically deleted after you play them
– Tap on links that appear in podcast and episode descriptions to open them in Safari
– You can now ask Siri to play podcast episodes by simply saying “play podcasts”
– To play specific podcasts or stations, just ask Siri to play them by name, like “play TEDTalks”
– Please note that Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas.
– Podcasts now supports CarPlay
– Start playing a station right from the stations list — just tap the Play button next to the station name
– Share links to your favorite podcasts using AirDrop
This update also resolves playback issues after syncing with iTunes and improves stability while downloading podcasts.