A group of security researchers has published a pair Snapchat security exploits, claiming the popular social startup has ignored requests to address them since August — prior to any Facebook acquisition talk. The Gibson Security team is hoping that’ll force the company to respond to the problems, which they say could pose serious privacy risks for both iOS and Android users. The first bug could help a hacker suss out private user details like phone numbers, while the second could be used to create masses of dummy accounts. Together, they could be used by spammers, or worse, stalkers, provided they roughly know the location of the target. Now that the code’s out in public, anyone with technical know-how could exploit the bugs, which the team said could be fixed with “ten lines of code.” If true, hopefully Snapchat will jump on them quick — check the source for more.
Filed under: Misc
Source: Gibson Security
Earlier today, the Taipei District Prosecutors Office concluded its investigation on the HTC saga that mainly involved ex-lead designer Thomas Chien (pictured above). The report indicts the ex-VP for leaking HTC’s upcoming icon designs — likely from the yet-to-be-released Sense 6.0 — by way of a presentation, which was shown to his then future business partners for a new company they were forming together. There’s no mention on whether the other party was tied to the Chinese government, as previously rumored, but the meeting was known to have taken place in Beijing back in June.
The investigation also confirmed that Chien’s naughty crew managed to rake in NT$33,566,000 or about US$1.12 million, in the form of false expense claims plus rebates from a supplier. In case you forgot, about a quarter of that cash was found inside Chien’s Audi, with another quarter confiscated from him separately earlier.
The prosecutors said while most other perpetrators have admitted to their wrongdoings, Chien continued to defend himself and remained in denial of some of his crimes. The court is therefore advised by the report to offer a heavy sentence for the traitor’s “malignant” behavior.
One of the great things about the FCC is that the commission is obligated to reveal all of the newly-minted and as-yet unannounced gadgets that pass through its hallowed halls. The latest to be shown is a Samsung tablet measuring in the 8-9-inch category. Naturally, all that the FCC is concerned with is if the unit’s Bluetooth and WiFi modules are working properly, so we shall have to wait and see what the SM-T320 turns out to be. But considering that we’ve got CES in less than a week and MWC a month afterward, we doubt we’ll be waiting long.
Via: Phone Arena
During the original Apple v. Samsung trial in 2011, Apple requested an injunction to prevent Samsung from selling its Galaxy line of smartphones and tablets within the United States. Apple stated that the products in question violated three of its multitouch software patents, including the “rubber-banding” patent covering bounce back along with the tap-to-zoom and pinch-to-zoom patents. Judge Lucy Koh then formally denied Apple’s request, suggesting there was no evidence Apple would suffer irreparable harm if Samsung was able to continue selling its products.
Last month, however, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled that Judge Koh must reconsider her decision to not ban Samsung devices that infringed on Apple products. Now, FOSS Patents is reporting that Apple has renewed its bid for a U.S. ban on Samsung products, requesting that a separate injunction trial be held on January 30, 2014.
It’s important to focus on the asserted patents, not the accused products. Obviously, the products that are named in an April 2011 lawsuit (such as the Galaxy S II) are no longer commercially relevant. But Apple is seeking an injunction that would also cover “any other product not more than colorably different from an Infringing Product as to a feature found to infringe” (which is consistent with the Federal Circuit’s TiVo v. EchoStar opinion).
The trial concerning a possible Samsung product ban will also be separate from a second infringement lawsuit to be held on March 31, 2014. Apple and Samsung also participated in a damages retrial last month that followed the original trial in 2011. The jury in the retrial found Samsung liable for $290 million in damages, with Samsung then filing a motion to delay its payments to Apple. That motion however was later denied by Judge Koh, basing her decision on three factors centering around the pace and progress of the case as a whole.
Amidst a recent spate of Model S fires, Tesla has upgraded the software on the EV to prevent unsafe charging, according to a tweet from Tesla S owner @ddenboer. If input power fluctuations are outside a safe range, the software will automatically reduce the charging current by 25 percent — from 40 amps to 30, for instance. The change is supposedly a response to a recent Tesla S blaze, which happened in a California garage in November. Citing investigators, Tesla said the incident wasn’t caused by the EV but by an overheated wall charger in the garage, a problem that the system can apparently now detect and help mitigate. Meanwhile, per Tesla’s request, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is still looking into several recent fires, two of which were caused by road debris puncturing the batteries. Though the company has already changed the warranty to cover any and all fire damage, CEO Elon Musk hopes that such an inquiry will prove that the Model S is safe.
Via: Autoblog Green
Source: @ddenboer (Twitter)
The PlayStation 4 might not play CDs (yet) and an official YouTube app is still MIA, but that doesn’t mean music and music videos are out of reach. Vidzone has finally taken its streaming app into the next generation, and, unlike Music Unlimited, it’s free. Much like its previous-gen counterpart, the video application offers concerts, interviews, custom playlists and even crams the PS4′s native social-features in for good measure. You can share screenshots of what you’re watching to Facebook and Twitter, for instance, and recent activity in the app also populates the “what’s new” activity feed on your friends’ consoles. Unless you want your Battlefield 4 clan to know you went on a lengthy Ke$ha binge, however, we suggest turning that setting off.
Source: PlayStation Blog
In the wake of Maps-gate, Nokia was one of several outfits that rushed to Apple’s aid with a navigation app of its very own. A year later, however, and that same offering has been yanked from the App Store before it could send a note to its neighbors. When we asked, Nokia responded with the below quote, saying that iOS 7 harms the user experience of HERE, but users can still access the mobile edition of the service. Which is all well and good, unless you were a big fan of the app’s ability to cache offline data.
“We have made the decision to remove our HERE Maps app from the Apple App Store because recent changes to iOS 7 harm the user experience. iPhone users can continue to use the mobile web version of HERE Maps under m.here.com, offering them location needs, such as search, routing, orientation, transit information and more, all completely free of charge.”
Via: Nokia Power User
Unwrap a Wii U this holiday season? Apparently, you weren’t the only one: the company’s Nintendo Network seems to be stumbling over increased traffic. “Players are having trouble setting up Nintendo Network IDs and downloading content in the Nintendo eShop on both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS,” Nintendo writes on its US support page. “We truly regret the inconvenience, and wish to reassure everyone that providing a solution is our top priority.”
The network issues are sure to be a thorn in the side of new users pursuing the Wii U’s requisite updates, not to mention current owners hoping to check out this week’s eShop sales. Folks planning to pick up Pokemon Bank and Poke Teleport (a pair of programs designed to allow players to save, store and transfer their pocket monsters between new and old versions of the games) will have to wait too — both apps have been delayed until the network issues can be resolved. With any luck, that won’t take too long, but if you care to nip at Nintendo’s heels you’ll find the company’s official announcement at the source links below.
If you’ve had your Oppo N1 since launch but would rather use anything besides its Android one-off ColorOS, the hardware manufacturer doesn’t take it personally. In fact, you’ll find a version of CyanogenMod that’s tailor-made for the device if you click over to Oppo’s forums. Previously, the custom version of Android was only available on a special edition of the N1, but now everyone has access to CyanogenMod’s vision of what Google’s OS can be: namely, bloat-free and better performing. Because the ROM was built specifically for the device, you won’t lose access to the handset’s more unique features — even the rear touch-panel and the swiveling camera lens. The N1 may be a niche phone, but this close relationship with Oppo could get CyanogenMod just a little bit closer to its goal of becoming a mainstream alternative to Android and iOS.
Via: Android Central
Source: Oppo Forums (official)