Download and install the new Android Market on your rooted 2.2+ device
Been dying to try out the new Android Market, announced last week? If so, we’ve got a package here you might like. Available for download is the new Android Market version 2.2.6, and we’re going to tell you how to install it, as well as how to get rid of it if it causes you problems. As always, TalkAndroid cannot be held liable for any damage you may do to your device, as you will be messing with some base system files, but if you’re ready to don your geek hat, hit the break for a full set of instructions.
Requirements: You will need your device to be rooted, as well as running a ROM that is based on 2.2 or above. You will also need root access to the file system. We will be showing you how to do this with Root Explorer, which is a $2.50 app, but well worth the cost. I use it just about every day.
- Download the com.android.vending_2.2.6.apk found here, and place it on the root of your SD Card.
- Download and open Root Explorer. Make sure to give it root permission when prompted. Navigate to /system/app
- Find “Vending.apk”, tap it and hold until a menu pops up. Choose “Rename”, and add “.bak” to the end of the file name. It should now look like this: Vending.apk.bak
- Reboot your device. Once your device is restarted, use Root Explorer to navigate to the root of your SD Card. Once there, find the com.vending_2.2.6.apk and install it.
- Reboot one more time for good measure.
And that’s it! You should now have the new Android Market on your device! Now, if for any reason the new Market doesn’t work on your device properly, all you have to do is go to setting > Applications > Manage Applications, find the Android Market, and Uninstall it. Then, just go back into Root Explorer, navigate to /system/app, and rename Vending.apk.bak back toVending.apk, and then reboot.
There have been reports of the new market working on 1.6 and 2.1, but we weren’t able to try it out. Be sure to let us know how it goes for you in the comments! If you come across any issues, be sure to hit the info link below to be taken to the application thread.