How does the Nest Protect work with other Nest products?
Best answer: The Nest Protect can tell your Nest Thermostat or any Nest cameras you might have about any emergency alerts and those products can respond in their own helpful ways. You control the action through the Nest app on your phone and it’s easy to set everything up.
- The following products were found on Amazon:
- Amazon: Nest Protect ($125)
- Amazon: Nest Learning Thermostat ($210)
- Amazon: Nest Security Camera ($172)
- Amazon: Echo Smart Speaker ($100)
Nest Protect Wireless Interconnect
Nest Protects can work together; this feature is called Wireless Interconnect in your Nest account settings. With Wireless Interconnect active, when one Nest Protect detects smoke or high levels of carbon monoxide, all the Nest Protects in your house can sound off the same alarm. Nest Protect is really loud, but with Wireless Interconnect, no matter where you are in the house, you’ll hear the alarm for sure.
With Nest Thermostats
When a Nest Protect senses smoke or high levels of carbon monoxide, your Nest Thermostat can be set to:
- Display an alert on its LCD screen.
- Shut off any inline fans or forced air systems to keep fire or CO from spreading.
More than a thermostat
Nest Learning Thermostat
$210 at Amazon
Comfort and safety
The Nest Learning Thermostat is not only one of the easiest ways to save money on your heating and cooling bills, but it can also help keep an emergency contained because it works with the Nest Protect.
When a Nest Protect detects a fire or high levels of carbon monoxide, all Nest cameras can be programmed to:
- Automatically turn on and stream live video.
- Insert a capture of the event in the Nest Protect alert in the Nest app.
- Tap the video icon to switch directly to the camera’s live feed.
- Record the clip even if you don’t have a current Nest Aware subscription.
Nest Security Camera
$172 at Amazon
Your eyes during an emergency
The Nest Security Camera is an easy to use standalone smart camera to protect your home and valuables. It can also act as your eyes during a fire or time of high carbon monoxide levels because of the way it works with the Nest Protect.
Alexa can help, too
Nest products are also built to work with Amazon Alexa. Not only can you control things like your nest Thermostat or Nest Protect through the Alexa app on your phone or an Amazon Echo device, but Alexa skills and the IFTTT service can also work with your Nest protect to trigger actions in other Alexa-aware products.
- Use this applet to have IFTTT call any phone number if the nest Protect senses high levels of CO or a fire.
- This is the same applet programmed to make a VOIP call.
- Use this applet to have IFTTT send you an email when your Nest Protect battery is low.
- This applet ties your Nest Protect to your Philips Hue lights so they can blink during an emergency or turn on and light the way out of the house.
You’ll find plenty more Nest applets and Alexa skills for Nest that can work with Alexa-aware products you might have. It’s also simple to build your own if you can’t find what you’re looking for with Amazon’s Skill Builder or the IFTTT Applet creator.
Echo Smart Speaker with Alexa
$100 at Amazon
A powerful control center
The Amazon Echo is a great looking smart speaker, but the power of Alexa also means it can become a central command and control center for your Nest products during an emergency or just to make your life easier.