Apple Releases Updated Version of Shortcuts App With iPad Pro Support
Apple today updated its dedicated Shortcuts app for iOS 12 devices to version 2.1.1, introducing support for the new iPad Pro models that are set to be released tomorrow.
Apple’s 11 and 12.9-inch 2018 iPad Pro models are the latest Apple devices that will work with the Shortcuts app, which is designed to let you create multi-step shortcuts and automations using first and third-party apps that can then be activated with Siri commands.
With Shortcuts, for example, you can create an automation to do something like turn on the thermostat at home using the Nest app, text your roommate that you’re on the way with Messages, and open up the Maps app with directions home all with a single “I’m going home” Siri command spoken when leaving work.
Shortcuts are deeply customizable, with Apple’s Shortcuts app providing a gallery of Shortcut suggestions along with the tools to create your own.
In addition to support for the new iPad Pro models, the 2.1.1 update introduces a long list of bug fixes, as outlined in Apple’s Shortcuts support document.
- Fixed an issue where some actions (including Send Email, Dictate Text, Run Home Scene, and Vibrate Device) may not work when invoked from Siri
- Fixed an issue where the Set Flashlight action caused an error message to appear
- Fixed an issue where the Call action wasn’t able to dial phone numbers with special characters (such as * or #)
- Fixed an issue where entered decimal numbers may not be recognized properly in locales that use a comma as the decimal separator
- Fixed an issue where the selected photo album in the Save to Photo Album action may be reset to “All Photos”
- Fixed an issue where the Toggle Alarm action wouldn’t disable alarms until the “Enable” switch was turned on and back off
- Fixed an issue where the Speak Text action spoke using lower-quality voices
Shortcuts can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]
Discuss this article in our forums