How to get the Android P beta on your OnePlus 6
Have a OnePlus 6 and want to load Android P on it? Here’s what to do.
The OnePlus 6 is OnePlus’s big flagship for 2018, and like we heard at Google I/O, is one of a handful of phones you can use to download the Android P beta right now.
Android P is currently in a Developer Preview 2 stage, meaning there are still a few bugs here and there that could make your experience a bit rough. However, if you’re okay with that and want to start playing with the new software, here’s what you need to do.
One more thing! Before you begin this process, make sure you understand the risk involved. Flashing software can potentially brick your phone if you’re not careful, so be certain you’ve got enough time to complete the process and read all the instructions are careful as possible.
From your OnePlus 6, go to OnePlus’s website and head to the Android P beta page.
Tap on the Download Now button.
Navigate to Settings.
Tap System updates.
Tap the top right corner icon.
Tap on local upgrade.
Tap the installation package.
Tap immediately upgrade.
Once these steps have been completed, you’ll want to dive into Recovery Mode
To turn your OnePlus 6 off, hold the power button and tap the shut down option.
Hold the power button and volume down buttons at the same time to enter Recovery Mode.
Select the Wipe data/factory reset option.
Click power and select yes to confirm your selection.
Select Reboot system now.
Your OnePlus 6 will then download the Android P file, and after a few minutes, should be up and running with the new software!
There are a ton of new features and goodies to check out with Android P, but it’s important to note there are a few things that aren’t working. Right now, known issues include:
- VoLTE doesn’t work
- Bluetooth connectivity has “compatibility issues”
- The Wi-Fi SoftAP device manager isn’t functional
- Slow motion mode in the camera is unstable
- Face Unlock isn’t working
- Widevine L1 is not operational
Enjoy Android P on your OnePlus 6!
OnePlus 6 hands-on preview: Still the best deal in town
- Android P: Everything you need to know
- Android P Beta hands-on: The best and worst features
- All the big Android announcements from Google I/O 2018
- Will my phone get Android P?
- How to manually update your Pixel to Android P
- Join the Discussion
- OnePlus 6 hands-on preview
- OnePlus 6 vs. OnePlus 5T: How much changes in six months?
- OnePlus 6 vs. OnePlus 5: Should you upgrade?
- These are the official OnePlus 6 cases
- The OnePlus 6 doesn’t work on Verizon or Sprint
- Join the discussion in the forums