Boost Mobile has released a new device for consumers to pick up today, the HTC Desire 510. The Desire 510 displays Android 4.4 KitKat and HTC Sense on a 4.7-inch screen. Under the hood it packs in a quad-core 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor, 1GB of RAM and 4GB of internal storage. As for photos the device carries a 5MP rear camera and a 1.3MP front shooter for your selfies.
Customers can pick up the HTC Desire 510 from Boost Mobile retail stores, select independent dealer locations and at boostmobile.com. Price wise you are looking at $99.99 out of pocket. While the HTC Desire 510 is available on Boost Mobile starting today, it isn’t out for Virgin Mobile just yet. It will be launching soon and judging from the press release, it should be coming in blue to Virgin.
The post HTC Desire 510 now available through Boost, Virgin Mobile to follow soon appeared first on AndroidSPIN.
Last week, we reported that Verizon might release a new Droid in October, dubbed the “Droid Turbo.” This phone is supposedly going to have some new or better fast charging technology to help continue the battle in a phone that lasts throughout your day, if not longer. Now it looks like some details of this phone have leaked.
A Google+ profile, hellomotoHK, has leaked some photos and details of the Droid Turbo:
“Droid Turbo XT1254
– 5.2″ 屏幕 / 5.2″ Screen
– 實體 Android 三大天皇鍵 / Entity android navigation bar
– 雙 LED 補光燈 / Dual LED Flash
– 前置揚聲喇叭 / Front-ported Speaker”
If true, we have some interesting specs here. Moto is continuing the trend of 5.2-in screen like the new Moto X (2014) as well as the Dual LED Flash, and what we presume to be front-facing stereo speakers. What I find interesting is the “Entity android navigation bar.” This may just be translation issues here, but is there a reason they brought special attention to it? We’ll have to wait until October to see.
It is becoming easier to charge your device on the go with the price of portable power packs going lower and lower. However, that does not change the fact that it still requires you to carry around this extra device to charge your devices. Now thanks to Samsung, you can use the battery in your phone or tablet to charge other devices. Samsung has released their Power Sharing Cable to share power between two devices. The cable has two microUSB connectors on each end, with an arrow on each one to show which way the power flows.
Unfortunately, you can only charge other devices with certain Samsung products, but you can charge any device that charges via microUSB. This list of compatible devices include Galaxy S5, Galaxy Tab S 10.5; Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Galaxy Alpha, Galaxy Avant, and Galaxy Note 4. Since several of these devices have extremley large batteries, the Power Sharing cable is a good investment if you do not want to carry around a spare power pack. Samsung also released the Power Sharing app that lets you limit the amount of power you give to the device you connect to. It is available on Google Play and in Samsung Apps. If you are rocking on of the compatible devices and also have a smartwatch, bluetooth headset, or other accessory that might need charging during the day, you can pick up the Power Sharing Cable on Samsung’s website for $19.99.
What do you think of the Power Sharing Cable? Tell us in the comments!
The post Charge other devices with your phone using Samsung’s Power Sharing cable appeared first on AndroidGuys.
Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile on Tuesday confirmed the arrival of the $99 no-contract HTC Desire 510. Powered by a 1.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 400 processor, the smartphone features a 4.7-inch display and a 5-megapixel rear camera. Additionally, the Desire 510 offers users 4G LTE connectivity, HD Voice, a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera, and a 2100mAh battery. Running Android 4.4 KitKat, the handset also comes with HTC BlinkFeed.
The HTC Desire 510 is immediately available from Boost Mobile; Virgin Mobile’s version arrives “soon”.
The post Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile call dibs on HTC Desire 510 appeared first on AndroidGuys.
Have you been anticipating Titan, Blizzard’s first online role-playing game since World of Warcraft? Unfortunately, you’re going to have to pin your hopes on some other title. The studio tells Polygon that it has cancelled Titan despite pouring seven years of effort into the project, which was never officially announced. As Blizzard’s Mike Morhaime explains, Blizzard just “didn’t find the fun” during a reevaluation — the game was extremely ambitious, but it “didn’t come together” as a cohesive work that you’d want to play. The developers were also nervous about defining themselves as an online RPG company. They want to build “great games every time,” even if that means switching genres.
In a sense, it’s not surprising that Blizzard would give Titan the axe. The company has a history of cutting games that it doesn’t think will fly, even when they’re relatively close to completion — see StarCraft Ghost and WarCraft Adventures for examples. There’s no mention of where the cancelled game’s team will focus its attention, but it’s safe to say that their future work won’t bear much resemblance to WoW or other massively multiplayer experiences.
Filed under: Gaming
Just as it happened on Android last year, now the iOS version of Google Currents has also been turned into Google Play Newsstand. But the name change isn’t the only thing different with the app on Apple’s platform. The newly dubbed Google Play Newsstand brings refreshed looks and functionality as well, which make it possible for you to browse through articles in smoother fashion and easily subscribe to topics and publications you’re most interested in. While it definitely took the search giant a long time to tweak the Google Currents moniker, at least the application is finally more in line with sibling services like Google Play Movies & TV, Google Play Books and Google Play Music.
Source: App Store
Just before Simpsons World arrives offering access to that entire series, FXNow has arrived on Apple TV set-top boxes. While Bart and Lisa make their way to the on-demand repository, the channel serves up FX series like Sons of Anarchy, The Americans, Justified, Archer and more. If you’re not into those selections, movies and more from FX, FXX and FXM networks are available — so long as you have a required cable subscription. As you may recall, FXNow is already streaming its content on Xbox One, iOS, Android, Windows 8, smart TVs and on the web.
Soft robotics can go a long way toward recreating the graceful movements of fish and other animals, and it now looks like they’re helpful for replicating some of the stranger creatures on our planet, too. A team of Greek researchers has developed an octopus robot that uses silicone tentacles and webbing to move as elegantly as the real thing — it’s convincing enough that small fish will follow along. It’s also much faster than a previous attempts, which used stiff plastic to plow through the water. While the original robot moved along at four inches per second, its squishier successor moves along at a healthier seven inches. That’s not nearly as quick as the real deal, which can reach 25MPH in bursts, but it’s far more consistent with what you’d expect from a real critter this size.
However attention-getting this mechanical cephalopod may be, it isn’t just for show. Scientists believe that a camera-equipped version could observe sea life without disrupting it, unlike conventional robots or humans. There’s no timetable for when that would happen, but it won’t be surprising if eight-armed automatons are eventually scouting underwater ecosystems everywhere.
Apple might be planning to unveil both its revamped music subscription service and its new branding alongside the upcoming 2015 Grammy Awards, reports Re/code, citing some “industry scuttlebutt.”
When will Apple show off the new version of its subscription service and its new brand? Here’s a guess backed up by some industry scuttlebutt: February — presumably timed to the Grammy Awards, which will be held Feb. 8.
News of an upcoming rebrand first surfaced yesterday, after TechCrunch reported that Apple would be shutting down Beats Music. An Apple representative quickly refuted the claim saying it was “not true.” Re/code went on to suggest that while Apple won’t be shuttering Beats Music, the company may have plans to “modify it over time,” changing the brand name.
Apple first acquired Beats Music back in May, and at the time, announced plans to leave the service untouched. There were no plans to integrate Beats Music into iTunes, with the company suggesting the streaming music service would remain as a standalone product. Beats Music was largely seen as Apple’s answer to popular services like Spotify, aimed at improving declining music sales.
In recent weeks, Apple has made quite an effort to promote Beats Music, adding it to the list of “Apps Made by Apple” and recommending the app to new iOS users. Apple also added a Beats Music channel to the Apple TV last week alongside the release of iOS 8.
Thus far, there is no word on what Apple is planning for Beats Music, but a source at TechCrunch has suggested that Apple might roll the streaming music functionality into iTunes.
Amazon, understanding that we’re in that time of year where just about everything comes in a pumpkin spice variant, has kicked off autumn with their own deals. To help usher in fall, Amazon is highlighting a wide variety of apps and games available through the Appstore, many of which are free. If you’re in the hunt for something new or fun to get you through this season then you’ll want to check out some of the following!
- Wanelo, FREE: Wanelo gives you an endless stream of the best products online, all posted by people like you. Buy everything right away, or collect and organize your favorite products to your profile to purchase later, and follow your favorite stores online.
- Etsy, FREE: Discover over 17 million unique items from 800,000 sellers around the world. Etsy is the world’s handmade marketplace, explore what kindred spirits are favoriting on Etsy and shop whenever inspiration hits
- Pinterest, FREE: Dream up your next holiday trip, a favorite recipe, and of course all the essential Fall must-haves; then pin to your favorite
- Hautelook, FREE: HauteLook, a Nordstrom company, offers 24/7 access to the fashion and lifestyle brands you love at 50-75% off. Featuring both men and women’s apparel, you and your loved one will be set for fall.
- Food Network in the Kitchen, FREE: Get all the pumpkin spice recipes you ever dreamed of as you whip up pumpkin pie, apple tarts and seasonal eats and treats all winter long.
- Must-Have Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens, FREE: Slow-cooker sensations, bubbly stews and dozens of the most decadent desserts all free. Share recipes by email or via Facebook, and organize into your favorite groups in your recipe box.
- Pie Recipes, FREE: Nothing screams fall like a traditional pie recipe. Enjoy that, along with apple cheddar cheese pie, apple butterscotch pie, almond joy pie and many others. Tis the season.
- Make Pretzels, FREE: Get in the kitchen where you learn how to make dough, put it in the oven and decorate your own pretzels. Fun for all ages!
- Brewing Assistant, $1.99: Oktoberfest features a lot of fun things, but beer is definitely one of them. Define your craft and brew better beer as Brewing Assistant helps you brew your own beer and build your own recipes.
- BeerSmith 2 Lite, $3.99: BeerSmith lets you search from thousands of beer recipes to download and view them on your phone or tablet. Includes a beer style guide, ingredient reference, set of 7 brewing calculators and unit converters.
- Learn German with babbel.com, FREE: While you may not be able to partake in festivities in Munich this year, you can now learn German with basic and advanced vocabulary, integrated speech recognition for pronunciation exercises and over 3,000 vocabulary words with images and sentence examples.
Family Friendly for the Holidays:
- Pumpkin Maker, FREE: Use Pumpkin Maker to create the best Halloween faces for your pumpkin. Save your creations to show off later or utilize them to make your best pumpkin yet!
- Gingerbread Cookie Maker, $0.99: Design and make your own gingerbread cookies with various backgrounds and accessories. Perfect holiday game to keep kids entertained and get them excited about designing and cooking.
- Pet Holidays, FREE: Use your favorite photo of your furry friend and add holiday accessories like antlers, bunny ears, pilgrim hats and more to photos. When finished, you can easily post to Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter or upload to Shutterfly to turn funny images into cards or gifts.
Fall TV Apps
- NFL Now, FREE: NFL Now delivers a personalized video stream of your favorite NFL teams, players and coaches right to your Amazon device. Get exclusive interviews and stories, breaking news on fantasy players and unlimited access to your favorites in the NFL Films Archives.
- XFINITY TV Go, FREE: Watch content anytime, anywhere on your Wi-Fi connected Kindle. Stream your favorite fall TV shows including premium channels like HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax and more.
- Watch ABC, FREE: With Watch ABC you can view the ABC network live or on demand on various devices to catch up with your favorite fall TV shows.
- Watch Disney HD, FREE: Watch Disney XD and see full episodes, clips and more of your favorite Disney XD shows on your Kindle Fire device, phone, computer or Amazon Fire TV.
- PBS Kids Video, FREE: Watch all of your favorite PBS kids programming like Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood – new videos are added each week.
- Nick, FREE: Get the best of Nickelodeon at your fingertips with hilarious games, animated original videos, series like Blue’s Clues and more!
The post Amazon kicks off autumn by highlighting a variety of fall-related apps and games appeared first on AndroidGuys.